Welcome to CANB, the Council of Archives New Brunswick
Our mandate is to serve the archival community of the province by providing assistance, training and services such as the Archives Advisor programme, an archival supplies co-op (supply list available here), the Conservation Library, a Preservation Advisor, and the distribution of information received from the national institutions. We are a bilingual institution.
Specifically, we seek to:
- Provide a network for archival cooperation throughout the province
- Promote the development of and to coordinate the implementation of projects of mutual interest.
- Represent the provincial archival community in a national archival network
- Promote the archival preservation and conservation of New Brunswick historical documentary sources, and, as required, to make representations to government and other agencies to promote this preservation
- Encourage the establishment of archives by record-creating bodies and to prevail upon these bodies to open the historical records to public research
- Assess and report on the needs of the provincial archival community to provincial, federal and private funding and policy making agencies and to make representation to these agencies for funding to fulfill these needs
- Establish and promote adequate standards, procedures and practices among archival repositories in the province
- Promote public understanding and use of archives and of the historical resources of the province
- Provide delegates from member institutions with a forum for the discussion of archival issues and a means to exchange ideas on archival matters